So, IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROPHECY, this Sunday (MAY 15th) at 8pm BST (LOOK UP YOUR LOCAL TIME HERE
), IT BEGINS.
What begins? Oh my dear b_eople, like it says on the tin, we are going to watch ALL OF WHO. YES ALL OF IT. FROM THE BEGINING.
How that will work:
* EVERYONE is welcome! DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED--most of us have not seen most of these! Drop in or out as you like! This is just a rare opportunity to get to grips with the show's canon!
* We're going to have to double up short serials and split up long ones. So: something like Edge of Destruction will get cobbled onto another week or split down the middle and done doubly (so Carry On today, sorry), and something like The War Games gets made a two-week event.
* This will ALWAYS be at 8pm BST/GMT on a Sunday, as this is not godawful
for Europe or Australia, is doable for the UK, and hits all the US time-zones. Is this a problem for you? Please let me know, and if enough people are inconvenienced, we'll try and find something more workable.
* As you may know, some One and Two only exists in parts or has been fully destroyed, save for the audio. The main body of chat will skip these unless a full reconstruction with animation is readily available. The plan for the semi-destroyed ones is to host watchalongs either at midweek, Saturday during the day or Sunday beforehand (There Will Be Blood/Polls when it comes to it: we'll poll re: the FIRST lost ep to establish a definite fixed policy). Where we've missed an ep or several, we'll spend ten min or so before the Watchalong discussing what went down Last Time to the extent it's important/people feel like it.
* REMINDER: I know a new series is on, but please keep any and all chat about it in #bespoilered
. It's just polite. :)
* There will be a scheduled monthly Skip Ahead--not at the regular watchalong time, but before or something (again, there will be a poll, and again, we'll poll re: the FIRST Skip Ahead to establish a definite fixed policy). This will be a Three or Five ep or some such (we can try and limit the Skip Aheads to D/M stuff that's WELL ahead), so it's not A YEAR OF BLACK AND WHITE WITH NO RELIEF EVERRRRRRR (well, 17 complete One!serials and 6 complete Two!serials, so 23 weeks/half a year (54 weeks)). When we get to the skip-ahead eps in their actual chronology, the Skip Aheads get rewatched--they're popular eps, and we're talking YEARS in advance, here given how long we expect it to take to get through early Doctors.
* We WILL continue onto New Who. If we haven't all died by then. THEN MAYBE AUDIOS, which by then will be downloaded directly into every household's animatronic Nick Briggs (WOULD YOU LIKE SOME TEEEEEA?).
What Else We Will Do For These To Keep It Scintillating:
* A reminder post so people who find downloading more convenient than streaming have time to make that happen.
* Drinking games/food themes
* Drabble/Sketch challenges: Put The Master In It, Make It Shippy, or Whatever, Link Us Your Gen
* Larger regular fic/art-challenges: see above. Details re: the art component TBA after I talk to your new Art Mod. If the first was sketch/drabble, as long as you want, this is a round up every month or two of longer/more substantial fic and art projects based on/inspired by these eps. Possibly with additionally guiding prompts. More on this later.
* A Discussion Post where people can talk about the episode on lj. If they can't make chat or chose not to, that is NO PROBLEM, you are equally a part of this and encouraged to participate in all other ways.
* Amusing recaps/reviews linked to/posted on said Discussion Post. I'll try to get one out weekly, and would relish tons!
BUT THIS IS A D/M COM! YOU ARE GETTING GEN IN IT! HELP, HELP, I NEED AN ADULT!marah_sarie
is always thinking of you, because the restraining orders you have taken out cannot stop her powerful mind. When we first floated this on the Mod Com back in September, she very sensibly pointed out that some people might look askance (like so: :/ ) at such a flurry of not explicitly pairing activity. We should explain to you that this shit is so pairing-related it's not true! This shit stops being gen and starts being real
HOW THIS BENEFITS YOU:
It is hard to get into Old Who alone, yet interesting and inspirational to know your canon. This will be fun and useful in many ways.
* More One!influenced Theta, anyone?
* More Who you've never
* More crazy cracky or dead serious fic/art/craft-spurring watchalongs and challenges (in the 'Put The Master In It ('Put the master in it' is one of my favorite games./ That is what he said...'), Make It Shippy, or Whatever, Link Us Your Gen' vein)?
* More hanging out with peeps?
* More stuff to read/look at as a result?
It could be cool. WE WILL KEEP IT SHIPPY, FOR THAT IS HOW WE ROLL. If you're not digging it, you can easily ignore it, that is fine! These *particular* activities will just /also/ be About The Classic Love (and Knowledge): the creation and maintenance thereof.
TO KEEP YOUR FLIST FREE OF CLUTTER:
* We'll be limiting strictly episode-watch posts to the Reminder and Discussion Posts if possible.
* Other related posts will be for quite pairing-related fic and art producing stuffs, like the drabble/sketch and the overarching!challenges.
I'd like to keep this on b_e to keep it properly communal, to share the love and the resultant work, but if it gets unmanagable, let me know and I'll think about creating a sub-com.
There are 215 serials. Only 27 of them have been destroyed. At a serial a week (though we may speed up as serials get shorter) that's four years, y'all. Individuals are 100% free to come and go as they please, catch up on their own time, or come in and ask what's going on without pressure. It's only a long term commitment for the com, but also, it's something for us to do as a com, for like YEARS. Challenging, but I have real faith that this will produce excellent discussion and fanwork.
I'm looking forward y'all making frankly BALLER classic fic and art, watching stuff I've never seen, and the pleasure of writing snarky reviews!